Back pain is one such health problem that most people experience at least once in their lives. It’s not even uncanny as 80% of Americans live through chronic back pain. One of the prevalent reasons why people visit their doctors so often.
Not only do they spend money on their back discomfort but income decreases too due to continuous absence from work. If you’re going through a similar situation, wearing a support belt is one such amazing method to treat your lower back pain.
But, do they really work, or are they worth the hype? Let’s find out how back support belts work and if buying them is a good choice.
How Good is it to Wear a Support Belt?
Using a back pain support belt can help alleviate the pain from osteoarthritis in the lumbar spine and also much more such as:
- Post-surgery, wearing a back support belt for 6 weeks can help you a lot in the healing process.
- It relieves pain and discomfort associated with a muscle strain. It prevents herniation by supporting the lower spine.
- Wearing a back support belt helps take pressure off your spine or distribute weight more evenly so it is not being oppressed by gravity.
How Does the Support Belt Works?
Adding stability to joints is the basic purpose of using back support belts. It provides controlled compression with panel inserts and massage given by pads. They further help in inflammation reduction. The back can be immobilized and then mobilized in a controlled way which can also be used to correct posture.
Generally, the concept of pain relief is accomplished by the following great features of back support belts:
- A back brace helps to build a healthy healing environment for the current injury and prevent future ones by maintaining the body posture right.
- A support belt helps to reduce painful muscle tightness which happens due to spinal compression.
- The belt also limits harmful motions that help increase body awareness which helps a user to maintain the right posture for better back health.
How to Put on a Back Support Brace?
When you wear one, you tend to feel as if you are being lifted out of your core as it is draped so firmly around your waist. Here are a few steps that help you wear a support belt properly:
- Be sure you get the right size when using a back brace. So, measure around your low back area and if you happen to have a big midsection, go up one size for a comfortable fit.
- Make sure the back brace nicely covers your low back and tailbone area properly.
- Prior to slipping on the belt, try not to suck in your stomach all the way and not allow your belly to hang out in between. Start with a neutral posture in which you are most comfortable.
- Be sure that the two surfaces of the belt are accurately aligned and you have a good base of overlap when velcroing the first section of the belt.
- If your belt has extra support flaps, you may use them to give extra support to your waist
How to Effectively Care for the Back Support Belt
Taking good care of the back support brace is pretty simple and straightforward. Here we have got some tips to help you keep your brace in the finest condition:
- If you are wearing your support belt daily then wash it daily too. Begin by removing all the panels and cleaning all components one by one with soap and water. Do not use bleach and before wearing it again, make sure it's fully dry.
- Check your brace regularly if there are any holes found and let your health care service provider know if any parts need replacement. The straps need to be simple to replace.
- Rubbing alcohol is a cool and super effective way to prevent germs from growing on your belt. So, wipe it with a cotton ball dampened with alcohol and as the rubbing process evaporates instantly, you don’t have to wait for too long to resume wearing the brace.
- It is best if you wear a shirt underneath the support belt to avoid skin irritation. Pick a clean 100% cotton shirt and make sure there are no wrinkles on your shirt.
- Don’t wear skin moisturizer because the skin needs to be as dry as possible. Too much moisture can result in sores. So, avoid using oils and lotions or any talcum powder on your skin surrounding the back support belt.
Now, you must be wondering where to buy a back support belt, well you can access the collection of support belts online and find the exact size that fits you. Perhaps you’d like our range of soft back support belts too that are made of high-quality fabric and lightweight too to provide you the utmost comfort, care, and convenience.